Formed in June 09, Here Come the Belgians is a non-elite anti-team celebrating all things cross, cobbled and Belgian.
Seeking a different experience to the traditional cycling club, its aim is to harness the energy of a vibrant internet cycling community with grass roots racing and riding based around Cyclocross and Spring Classics. There is no race programme in the style of a racing team, more a collection of individual experiences through rides and racing, in whatever location a member may be, that all can share in and contribute toward.

Tuesday 8 October 2013

Yorkshire Points Round 5 Temple Newsam

Temple Newsam is one of my favourite course.  I seem to go pretty well here, which is surprising really considering the lap has what must be one of the longer climbs of any of the regular venues on the circuit.  However, what goes up must come down, and here I can put my considerable bulk to good use and just let gravity do its thing.  Plenty of rest time before the slog back up to the top.  Also good and varied, so keeps you on your toes and mind off the thumping heart.
















A glorious day greeted another bumper Belgian turn out including Alison, Johnny, Mark, Nick, Paul, Rich, Ricky and me, and also official snapper Jo. Although a couple of rainy days preceded race day, the course was essentially dry with a couple of slightly sticky spots under the trees - splatter was minimal.


The whistle went, and everyone bolted for the first corner.  The hard hard toil commenced.  I raced and raced and tussled all of the race with Mark, which, now thinking back, made for a very enjoyable race.  Mark had the measure of me really if I'm honest, but a clogged cleat let Mark down at the crest of the final climb, and I pounced.  Sprint finish and just clung on to 117th!  Now I know I'm not the fittest bloke in the world, but still, I really turned myself inside out during the race and it's only worth 117th!  There are some very fit and fast people out there.

Women/Vets

Richard Allen          14th
Paul Nutton             43rd
Nick Waggat           69th
John Parkinson        117th
Mark Bradley          118th
Alison Crutchley      125th
Johnny Hardiman     129th

Seniors

Ricky Feather          17th






So it was just a great day out.  It had everything... meeting new team mates, sunshine, push bikes, racing in sandals, beer, everything!


*Photos courtesy of Jo Hanglebads.  Thanks

3 comments:

  1. Good report John - little concerned that you 'ponced' on Mark?! ;-> Saw Adam's name on the results but didn't see him race - another mystery...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice report! Get me, doing raceface there! Lovely to meet some of you, look forward to seeing you again at Skipton :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! I'll correct...

    Cooper? No didn't see Adam - he defo would've said hello...

    ReplyDelete