Formed in June 09, Here Come the Belgians is a non-elite anti-team celebrating all things cross, cobbled and Belgian.
Seeking a different experience to the traditional cycling club, its aim is to harness the energy of a vibrant internet cycling community with grass roots racing and riding based around Cyclocross and Spring Classics. There is no race programme in the style of a racing team, more a collection of individual experiences through rides and racing, in whatever location a member may be, that all can share in and contribute toward.

Monday 26 November 2012

Graves Park

I like Graves Park. It was the first proper cross races I did when I started riding cross again a few years back. The course has a mixture of technical single track through woodland with some ride it run it choices, a proper forced carry and open parkland. When its dry it can be very fast and fairly straightforward but this year the wet ground conditions made it even more fun but also hard work.

This year we'd driven down picking Alistair up convoy style on the way and managed to park right by Race HQ. A quick sign on and a bit of excitement as Molly, one of Alistair Rhodesian Ridgebacks, managed to slip her collar and go searching for him whilst Jo and I chased her round the carpark/park etc! It was all happily resolved and then we were off pre-riding the course. Things were shaping up to be nice and slippery, especially the descent toward the ditch crossing. The ditch crossing itself was rideable even by me this year but as things later transpired perhaps not the best option.
IMG_1733
Nick through the ditch

We soon caught up with Nick, G and Laura and before long it was time to race. The drag up to the finish line gave an early indication of how tiring things were going to be. For me the race settled into a little battle with Alistair and having got past him by riding the ditch early on I managed to just hold him off till the finish. It nearly didn't work out on the 4th lap though when I hit a brick/rock that must have shifted onto the line I'd picked out and nearly went over the bars in the ditch - I was convinced that I must have wrecked the tub/wheel but I stayed upright and all seemed fine as I rode away. The race was a good lesson in changing lines that made big differences.

IMG_4594
Post race musings
Not too many photos from @Hanglebad as she was having a good natter with Lizzy and a few other Sheffield friends @Hanglebad's photos Rich Allen 12th, Nick Waggett 39th Laura Jolly 54th (6th Lady)

No comments:

Post a Comment