Formed in June 09, Here Come the Belgians is a non-elite anti-team celebrating all things cross, cobbled and Belgian.
Seeking a different experience to the traditional cycling club, its aim is to harness the energy of a vibrant internet cycling community with grass roots racing and riding based around Cyclocross and Spring Classics. There is no race programme in the style of a racing team, more a collection of individual experiences through rides and racing, in whatever location a member may be, that all can share in and contribute toward.

Tuesday 8 May 2012

Oakbank Summer CX

We’re off again!  Summer CX is back!

Therefore, more of my meandering, fortnightly drivelling's for you to endure I’m afraid….  So, with no further ado, here goes…

      Photo courtesy of Dirtwheels Cycles

There is simply no rest for the wicked – not in Yorkshire any road.  No sooner do I seem to have hung up my tubs for a well deserved rest, they’re back out again, re-glued, given a few puffs of air and re-attached the whip.

In addition to the sneakiness of the start of the summer ‘cross this year, Oakbank also marked the one year anniversary me being a Team Here Come the Belgians member.  This is a quite a milestone to say the least.  So how did I fair at Oakbank this time around, and a year on?

Well, this time last year I seem to remember an early summer, and a pleasantly warm evening, with a fast bone dry course.  There could not be more of a contrast to the conditions that greeted me this time round!!  The wettest April on record had saturated the course, and made a good third impassable by bike by someone of my ability.

It seemed to hurt quite a lot in general!!  I’m not quite sure why but I just didn’t seem at the races?  One of the smallest competitor fields I’ve seen at an YCX event for a while (about 80 I understand), was strong and punished me from the off.  Perhaps my year as a Belgian has made me a touch blasé?  I seemed ill prepared and slow?  I just couldn’t catch people in front and was upset not to replicate the strong(er) finishes as per the last couple of winter ‘cross races I competed in.

Frustrated – do I feel I’ve gone backwards?  No, I don’t think so.  I still feel I’m better overall than I was a year ago – just – and hopefully this first summer cross outing was just a shock to my system.  I’ll get a few training rides in, (try to) get back on the diet, and come back fighting stronger next time.

Todmoden - and the fearsome cobbles – bring it on...

No comments:

Post a Comment