Formed in June 09, Here Come the Belgians is a non-elite anti-team celebrating all things cross, cobbled and Belgian.
Seeking a different experience to the traditional cycling club, its aim is to harness the energy of a vibrant internet cycling community with grass roots racing and riding based around Cyclocross and Spring Classics. There is no race programme in the style of a racing team, more a collection of individual experiences through rides and racing, in whatever location a member may be, that all can share in and contribute toward.

Monday 5 December 2011

Supercross Cup Round 5: Tymon Park

Final round of the Supercross and the season wrap up for the Leinster area. As per normal you had to start the last round for points in the series to count with best 4 out of 5 races being considdered for your overall ranking. As I'd been sick I've only ridden 2 rounds previous to this, had to make some sort of effort, even if I was starting from the back of the grid.

How do I get from here, to there?Tymon can be wet, the first corner is normally sorta wet...but add in a B race and it got shredded. Running race every lap for about 100m allowed me to pull back a lot of places in the first two laps as people tried to ride it. By the end of the second lap I had pulled myself into 23rd and felt ok. The leaders were gone but there was still racing to be had with Paddy Mc and Sutty from my own club trying to reel me in and Mark McGauly just meters off my front wheel. I spent the next 4 laps catching up to mark on the running and technical sections.

Every time it went straight ahead and became a power race he gapped me. This season has been the first year I've not lost time on the technical sections, but my overall strength and fitness is not there to allow me to ride the hard bits fast. Tymon rewarded us with some excellent technical sections. The hill side twists and the Spiral of Confusion (tm) worked a treat on the first lap and every other lap gave you instant idea where you were placed. No more straight line drag strips, we need this, we need to be able to see who we are leading, who is coming back to us. Put loops in your courses folks.

The technical little step into a run-up was a moot point for some. Many of the road oriented B's were not happy, but if they'd ridden in St Annes they knew what to expect. In the A race it became a point of contention as some riders got a bit elbows out being very lucky to miss a DQ despite several complaints.

Myself, I enjoyed the race. Tymon was where I lost my CX cherry many years ago. It's a venue I love to race in and I think this years course was the best we have every done. The supercross is over for this season, but it will be back next year. Hopefully bigger, hopefully stronger and hopefully with less internal handbags. Race organisation is stressful. Hence after this round we all went out for dinner. Talked, drank, ranted at each other and generally just got together outside of the complexity of racing. For all of us there may be a me in Team, its just jumbled up with excess crap. But never forget it also contains mate if you look hard enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment