Formed in June 09, Here Come the Belgians is a non-elite anti-team celebrating all things cross, cobbled and Belgian.
Seeking a different experience to the traditional cycling club, its aim is to harness the energy of a vibrant internet cycling community with grass roots racing and riding based around Cyclocross and Spring Classics. There is no race programme in the style of a racing team, more a collection of individual experiences through rides and racing, in whatever location a member may be, that all can share in and contribute toward.

Friday 21 May 2010

Soul to Soul

don't be fooled by those big sad eyes - he's a bandit

last Saturday Al and myself headed off to meet Dunc to ride the lanes and cobbles he had so brilliantly cobbled together (I know! so bite me). Al's new toy mapped it so well and a sterling report was scribed.
I love the whole ethos of soul riding it's what life is about, sharing a passion, chatting, laughing and chilling, not worrying about anything other than the choice between carrot cake or stawberry tart. and it's so important as it reminds us of why we ride our bikes.
The ride was made even better as these were new lanes to me - though Al pointed out at one point that we had ridden on some of them last year in the Cheshire Cat - I have no recolection of this as at the time I was hanging on to his back wheel in my own world of pain.
The vibe started before we left with Al texting to see if I was ready? my response "in 5" I walk down stairs to Al wheeling my bike out of the door - anybody would think he was keen to be out!!
Pre ride coffee at Duncs then not wanting to be left out his dog made off with Al's cycling shoe and did a couple of laps around the garden with Dunc in chase. As Al fastened up his shoes off the dog went with my pair.
Post ride panini's at Duncs (what a good host) and the dog made off with my shades only giving them up after the obligatory laps round the lawn with Dunc in hot pursuit - I wonder if Lance faces these problems???
so get a few like minded people together plan a route with coffee stop and throw out all thoughts of cadence, bpm, latic thresholds and gear ratios and pedal for the enjoyment of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment