Formed in June 09, Here Come the Belgians is a non-elite anti-team celebrating all things cross, cobbled and Belgian.
Seeking a different experience to the traditional cycling club, its aim is to harness the energy of a vibrant internet cycling community with grass roots racing and riding based around Cyclocross and Spring Classics. There is no race programme in the style of a racing team, more a collection of individual experiences through rides and racing, in whatever location a member may be, that all can share in and contribute toward.

Wednesday 21 October 2009

Boggart Hole: The good, the bad, the ugly...

The third race for me in this far too short season (I'm loving it, can we make it last longer?) and I saw this race broken down into 3 parts.

The Good.
The course. A little bit of everything for everyone. Wide open sections, field loops, sinewy woodland downhills, off cambers the list goes on. The kind of course you don't really master as you're preoccupied with trying to go faster whilst forgetting to be smooth on each component. Challenging, so much so I wanted to do it again...and again. It's only then do you realise how good it was.

Here Come the Belgians. 5 team members entered, looking good, riding better than good.

The support the team had from the sidelines. Many thanks to everyone who shouted "Here Come the Belgians!" whilst we tried our best. It makes a difference, makes your legs turn over a little quicker... and also made me chuckle every time I heard it.

The midpack gentlemen. Good banter once we were into the racing and a sense of care after a couple of crashes to fellow riders.

The organisation. Hats off to Manchester Wheelers. Sorted course, quick results, photos and a write up, doesn't get better than that.

The Bad.
The course. A small slimy bank with questionable traction to tarmac climb. It sucked but I'm just frustrated I didn't really master it.

My Start. Got to the grid too late, too far to the back and once away was boxed in with no chance of opening the throttle and getting on top of the gear. Maybe I wouldn't have been any further forward with a better start yet you can't help wondering.

My remounts. I wasn't smooth at all. More mental than physical the course had my head in bits.

Pulling my left foot out of the cleat a couple of times every lap. Doesn't really help does it.

The Ugly.
The Course. Off camber tree roots to front end washout dumping me on the ground without ceremony. Took with it the confidence to push on the last lap. A result is better than a DNF and separated shoulders hurt, believe me.

Midpack grumblers. Pass someone into a corner and be mumbled at for racing...eh?

So...
A thoroughly enjoyable race, next stop Wheelbase cross which will debut a new handlebar setup and hopefully a refreshed set of lungs. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment