Formed in June 09, Here Come the Belgians is a non-elite anti-team celebrating all things cross, cobbled and Belgian.
Seeking a different experience to the traditional cycling club, its aim is to harness the energy of a vibrant internet cycling community with grass roots racing and riding based around Cyclocross and Spring Classics. There is no race programme in the style of a racing team, more a collection of individual experiences through rides and racing, in whatever location a member may be, that all can share in and contribute toward.

Friday 14 August 2009

Time to throw in the towel - or not!

Yesterday dawned bright and sunny and after a starting the day with a coffee, easy cycle into work and joining British Cycling my enthusiasm for getting some miles in was high to say the least.
(If you haven't joined British Cycling why not do so as a HCtB club member? Bronze membership is free if you are a new member joining through a team - if you do this online the club is found currently on page 42 in the club section. It's a no brainer!)
So like a naughty school boy I bunked off early and headed out for what I hoped to be a good couple of hours in the saddle.
After 30 mins of riding I was heading off the main roads to the narrow lanes at the foot of Pendle Hill, turning off the main road and heading to Wiswell I came across another cyclist on what appeared to be a shopping bike. As I turned into the lane and drop through the gears to tackle the climb I noticed the guy had followed and was now sitting just off my back wheel. Now came the dilemma? do I get out of the saddle aka Armstrong or just increase the tempo to drop him?
I decided to just carry on as if he wasn't there, however, now he was sat right on my wheel, luckily the road forked and he headed off the other way - my pride dented, I was feeling good and the pedals were turning nicely so how was this guy staying on my wheel on a shopping bike?
A couple of miles up the road and from my left the guy reappears!! to make matters worse he must be well into his 70's!!! He drops in on my wheel again but after about 10 meters pulls up along side and without a nod or hello passes me. The shame! I contemplate slinging my bike into the field and taking up bowls! Even worse I am wearing my GB team issue top (cheers Alan).
Just as I am considering hanging myself with my chain I notice the large battery pack and motor on his bike as he coasts (uphill) into the distance. With a huge sigh of relief (well I didn't have a chain splitter so the logistics of hanging myself with the chain would not have been easy) I carried on my way with a smile on my face.
In the end 1 hr 50 mins of classic Lancastrian hills to quote Lou Reed "just a perfect day"

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure he had a battery pack? Hallucinations when performing close to one's maximum threshold power are apparently common.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sure as I make sure my hallucinations always involve the girl in the Assos adverts!

    ReplyDelete